Friday, April 27, 2012

New Orleans Snoball Treat

     I've had snow CONES. But until I heard the advertisement on the radio, I didn't even know about SNOBALLS. There's a SnoBall truck parked near my office. I was curious about them. What's a SnoBall, and how is it different from a snow cone?
     Apparently, it's all about the ice. A snow cone is crushed ice, and when you eat it, it's crunchy. But a snowBall is shaved ice, and it melts in your mouth. I got one today to try it out. The flavor was "wedding cake" - kind of almond and sweet. It's really good. And I guess you can get it made with soft serve ice cream in the center, or with condensed sweetened milk dribbled on the top. If you ever get a chance, be sure to try one out.
     So I learned another new thing about central Louisiana culture. Have any of you heard about New Orleans SnoBalls??

3 comments:

Beverly Herman said...

Wedding Cake is my favorite!

Unknown said...

while my favorite is cherry w/ a squeeze of fresh lime(yes, I'm the weirdo that brings a lime wedge to the sno-cone hut...)I would be willing to try anything w/ sweetened condensed milk drizzled over it!

Sandra said...

I haven't heard of these, but in Mexico a similar treat is very popular. Shaved ice with an array of flavored syrups. There is one with condensed milk and that one is my favorite. Yum, I could go for one now, lol