Thursday, December 23, 2010

Snowmen in a Bottle


I've had it in my head for several weeks to make some little holiday ornaments, that can be wearable or used as decorations. For more things on that topic, check out my 12 Days of Christmas Post today at the Art Bead Scene blog.

12 days of Free Projects at Art Bead Scene Blog! 
These little snow folks have been in the back of my mind, and finally I took some time out to get them started.


I ordered these tiny glass bottles a while ago. I used them for a bead swap, putting gold glitter and resin inside, and adding words on the outside. I had some left over, just waiting for the next inspiration.

These bottles are very tiny, about an inch tall. I put some of my hand dyed resin beads and costume pearls inside, and frosted the outside with glitter glue and mica glitter. Everything looks better with bling!



For the heads, I made some carrot shapes out of orange polymer clay. The head is made from white polymer clay rolled into a ball, then a stalk for the neck was pulled down and pushed into the opening of the bottle, to make sure it would fit after it was baked.

I used pale pink eye shadow on the unbaked clay to give the snow faces rosy cheeks.

A wooden skewer makes great eyes, I used the pointed end for the pupils and the flat round end for the eye sockets. I poked holes for the mouth, one of them seems to be whistling or singing!


After I baked them, they looked like this. You can see the neck pushed down in the bottle, it can be glued into place when ready, and a strip of cloth or tinsel used to cover the top and beautify it.

Then the heads got a coating of glitter glue and a liberal shaking of mica glitter, to make them shiny and snowy. They look a little dark in this photo, but they're really bright white and covered with gorgeous shiny bling!


I'm going to finish them with little pointed rolled paper hats, made out of pages from an old elementary school math book I picked up for twenty-five cents at a used book sale. They'll get a necklace of shiny beads around the top, then a loop for a chain so they can be hung up or worn as special holiday jewelry.

I can think of lots of designs that could be done this way. Maybe pumpkins for Halloween, bunnies for Easter.

Use your imagination and have some fun, hope these snow guys inspire your creativity too. 

If you make some, be sure to let me know how yours turn out, I'd love to see the snow family kin!

8 comments:

Michele Lynch Art said...

Darling!! I love them!! Very creative! Michele

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Thank you, Michele. I have plans for how to make their "outfits," and I'll try to photograph that also. Little hats and scarves are needed, I think!

Alice said...

Oh so cute! Thanks for the tutorial (and for the star book too)!

Merry Christmas!

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Alice, I'm happy you liked them. It's fun during the holidays to take some time out and make something "pretty" and then hang it on the tree.

SueBeads said...

Oh my gosh how cute! I can't wait to see them finished!!!!

Maria said...

Lynn!
Your little snowmen are so cute!
It's funny, I too made snowmen heads for gift bags,
http://mariagrimes.blogspot.com/2010/12/ho-ho-ho.html

But yours are much cuter!!!
Happy Holidays, Maria xo

Beverly Herman said...

Merry Christmas Lynn to you and your family!

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Merry Christmas, my friends! Thanks very much and I wish you all Happy Holidays too!