Sunday, January 31, 2010

Pen Pals, From Far Away


Remember a while back when Esther in Provence, France sent me the package full of goodies? Inside along with some lovely medallions were a pair of antique calligraphy pen nibs.

I've got a collection of old antique pen nibs myself, so I was especially thrilled.

Since I only had two, I wondered how I could get more so I could use them for charms and a pair of earrings.

They were so dainty I wasn't sure I could cast them, but I tried just to see how they would look.


These are the results.

I'm tickled with them, I think they look grand.

Now I can use them without guilt or feeling that I'm drilling a hole in something antique and special - I made these with holes for jump rings.


You can still see the writing on the side of the pen.

Maybe as a charm on a bracelet as a symbol of writing a love letter - or the old saw about "the pen is mightier than the sword" for a dangle on a necklace - my mind started racing about how they could be used. If I drilled a center hole it could be a toggle for a clasp ... Do you have more ideas?

Thank you again, Esther. These are so fun, and it wouldn't have been possible without your generosity!

4 comments:

SummersStudio said...

These are so delicate. Toggle bars, yes! Can you put a jump ring on the back?

EmandaJ said...

Hi Lynn,
I love the old fashioned "crow quill" pens. Years ago I worked in a drafting room (before computer aided drafting) and in one of our supply draws were new pen nibs that were never used but had been "at the ready" for decades. No one on staff even knew how to work with them. We decided to "toss" them to make room for new supplies (but I "tossed" them into my bag!) I still have them and didn't know what to do with them until your post. Thanks for the great ideas.

Emanda

Alice said...

These are beautiful and so unique!

I love to do calligraphy, but finding the time to do it is difficult. It's such a satisfying and soothing art.

SueBeads said...

Those are great, Lynn! Love them!