Friday, January 22, 2010

All In The Details


Also part of learning how to cast the pewter has been learning how best to take the impressions, make the molds and finish them.

To get the detail I want, but make them sturdy yet light.

Hard to get all three. I'm still learning. I really enjoy the research and development part of the creative process.


I just created new molds for these lovebirds, to get the words in french at the bottom more legible.

And so you can see their wings and the pretty little flowers at the bottom.

Words are especially difficult to get the details and sometimes show up only faintly.


And to get a better detail in the profile on this medal. The lettering is clearer, too.

I love the look of it, and wanted to get a clearer impression, to see more of the lovely face and head.



It's still an ongoing learning process. I try new things, figure out what works and what I especially like.

And what's easier for me to cast accurately. So maybe by this time next year, I'll know twice as much as I do now, hopefully.

That's my goal, anyway. To keep testing, working and learning.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PS - don't forget about the giveaway from Monday's post, if you still haven't de-lurked and posted a comment there's time today before I post the winning name tomorrow! Oh, and I really am seeking the feedback on directions, so as much info as possible is terribly useful to me (hint, hint) as you post your reply.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PPS - Today is the birthday of Beth at Hint - pop over and wish her best returns of the day. Happy Birthday, Beth!

3 comments:

SummersStudio said...

Lynn, these are so amazingly delicate. I am enjoying watching the process.

TesoriTrovati said...

I love hearing about your process. You would think that telling all your secrets about it would demystify it but actually I am more and more intrigued by the intricacies of what you do.
I found out that Jennifer Heynen at Jangles is also celebrating a birthday!
So much loveliness.
I actually like that the words are not as clear...like worn medallions that have been rubbed by loving fingers. It heightens the mystery for me!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Riki Schumacher said...

These are beautiful Lynn, so great you figured out how to bring out more detail.