Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Lock and Key


For some reason right now I'm facinated with locks and keys.

I've been creating headpins and loops for chains, using the shapes and signs of locks.

Old skeleton keys, big and small.



And padlock designs, simple and fancy.

Of course they're not real, they don't open. And as far as I know the keys don't unlock anything.

But they have such a significance, they are an emblem of something. An older time, when such a large key or such a simple lock would have brought security.

A time when things were simpler, when things moved more slowly.


That's what's fun for me to think about. I sometimes keep old keys that went with a place I used to live or an automobile I used to own.

I still have some of the old hardware from a sailboat I owned long ago.

So they are like a memory of an older day, long ago and far away.

4 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

You know I love old keys! I will be on the look out for these real soon. Wishing you well...
Enjoy the day!
Erin

EmandaJ said...

Hi Lynn,
Our first home after we were married was a 1930s bungalow in a tiny East Texas town. It came with skeleton key door locks. My husband had the locks changed, of course, but we both used an old key as a keyring fob for years afterwards.

Wouldn't it be great if that was all the security we needed in these more complicated times?

Cheers,
Emanda

Riki Schumacher said...

I love, love, love keys too Lynn! Happy New Year! here's to more fun creations in 2010.

Jen Crossley said...

I have a key fetchish what can I say