Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Bows and Wings - What Are These Things?


I guess I'm already thinking about decorating the holiday tree. It's usually something I do over the Thanksgiving weekend at some point. And I take it down over the New Years holiday.

Kind of a tradition.

So I made this pair of pewter wings. With holes drilled in the wingtips. I can see it as part of a tree ornament.

Or a decoration on a wreath - maybe with a little angel in front.

It would also make a really pretty necklace focal, it has a brazen-bronze coppery tone to it and looks very ancient.


And what are the little bows about? Why do they have wire coming out of the top and bottom?

Well, I've been making focals and adding the wire, so I can add filigree ball decorations, or large oversized beads and then make a wire wrap on the bottom using the wire.

So the focal doesn't rotate on the wire. It's fastened and holds in one place really well.


The wire can just be made into a large loop, or beads can be put onto the wire next to the pretty little bows. I have some long, beautiful bead caps and it would be fun to add a teardrop shape bead and one of those bead caps to the bottom wire...

Wouldn't they be fun on a package as part of the gift wrap - or a special pair of holiday earrings? Come to think of it, I believe I'll make a pair for myself.


They're very lightweight and have a beautiful color to the metal, they look old and very vintage to me.

But that's what the wires are about.

I've been having a good time coming up with ways to use them. If you have other ideas about how to use the wire that's part of the bows, be sure to share!

1 comment:

The Joy of Nesting said...

Lynn,

These are great!!!!! Especailly the fact that the bead doesn't twist and move about!!!! It also makes for a beautiful clean presentation, when you don't want anything to distract from the bead or the entire focal!!! Awesome!! Think about maybe doing that with some of your other pieces!! Please :)

Have a wonderful day tomorrow and be sure to take the time to create a beautiful memory or two!

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mx.