Sunday, July 26, 2009

Through the Keyhole


It's been mild and lovely weather this weekend. I'm working on a swap project, getting everything together. The other project, the publication project, finished up last week.

With those projects well under way, I worked in casting pewter yesterday, it was nice to get back into the studio and work creatively on something fun.


I made this keyhole cover before the Independence Day holiday but hadn't finished it up yet. It was cast from a an original in my old house in Kansas City, before I moved to Saint Louis. I wanted it to be able to hold a lot of charms or chain, with a dangle at the bottom. Or possibly as a lariat loop, with strands of beads or chains through the large antique patinaed hole.


The key looks very ancient and asian, it's got a nice heft to it in the hand. I put a loop at both ends, it can hang either direction, or even horizontally, with chain or pearls forming the necklace. I think it's too long for a bracelet in this casting, but I may make one with a slight curve and see if I can make a bracelet with it, or make two tiny ones for earrings.

I love locks and keys! Especially antique styled ones that look very old and worn! I could even see these two combined into one powerful design, with the keyhole and key used together ...

They're in the Etsy shops now, if you want to see more photos, the key with the pewter and the keyhole in the ExpeditionD shop.

1 comment:

The Joy of Nesting said...

Lynn,

The key truly does have the aura of the mystical east. Maybe it was found behind the counter in the back room of a small antiquity shop in Kathmandu. Legend has it that the key.... :)

Have a wonderful. imaginative Sunday! By the way, I'm still waiting for my incredible pieces :(
The "mule service" was detained in Texas on family matters. Ohhhhhh I'm hoping this week they will get here!!!

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mx.