Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Local Fare Exhibit in Glass


I've mentioned before that I'm very fortunate here in Saint Louis, there's a lot of glass options, resources and talented glassworkers here. There's also a nice place for classes and exhibits, it's the Craft Alliance on Delmar. They're having an exhibit that starts in a few days, the Faculty is showing their wares!

Last year I signed up for a lost wax casting class in silver there, they have a nice facility with all the equipment and great teachers. Unfortunately my torch terrors closed in on me and I had to abandon the casting class.

Now that I'm casting pewter, I can still do metal pieces, but without invoking my terror of the torch. It haunts me, and keeps me from doing any glass lampwork beadmaking or taking classes that involve using the torch.


This piece is called "Carmelized" and it's by Mary Smith. She's a lampwork glass bead designer, and I love the graphic quality of her work. But it's understandable, as she started as a graphic designer for twenty years! I don't know her personally, but I understand she lives here in Saint Louis, or nearby.

This glass necklace is stunning, don't you think? Just look at those colors and the chunky glass globes. I want to go over to the exhibit and see it in person. I have the postcard to remind me, it's hanging up on my bulletin board right in front of me.


She has now won three international jewelry design awards, the prestigious Saul Bell Design awards, for 2006 and 2007. First place for two years in a row, pretty amazing. And again in 2009, taking second place with her jewelry piece "Carmelized" - check out her blog for more details.


I'll have to make sure I go over to this exhibit, I'd love to see these pieces in person! It makes me regret even more my TORCH TERROR limitations ... such gorgeous lampwork glass.

6 comments:

SummersStudio said...

How wonderful and inspiring! I wish I could go with you. You must tell us all about it after you go.

As for me, I love fire. I love torches. I love the smell of a wood fired kiln and the flame shooting out of the chimney. I love watching things melt. My dad was among other things a welder and maker of things that involved torches. The apple does not fall far from the tree I guess.

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

LeAnn, it's odd. I don't mind the kiln, and I have done raku, so it's not the fire, as I love a fireplace. It's something about the torch, the gas and the fact that I'm kind of a klutz! I can (and have) burned myself with light bulbs, I hesitate to think what damage I can do myself with a torch!

I don't mind the butane torch. It's something about the gas-fire mixture. Oh well, maybe someday.

TesoriTrovati said...

LOL! Burned yourself with a light bulb? Well...I consider myself a bit of a klutz but I have never done that! I would be all over the torch if I had a space that was set up properly for flame. Maybe someday! I think it is so cool to find those art opportunities so close and you definitely need to go and tell us all about it! I am intrigued by the intricacies of glass! Enjoy the day! Erin

The Joy of Nesting said...

Fear Not Lynn!!!

You are not alone in your "torch terror" Like you I can deal and with tons of precautions use a small butane torch. But the gas bad boys and the dry mouth nightmares start. :( All I can see it a huge disaster with me right in the middle of it every time I even considered taking any classes!! Maybe it was because one of the first burn patients I took care of was severly burned in a torch accident.

Erin you have never burned your arm on a light bulb??? Oh man it happens so easy and fast especially with the delicate skin on the inside of your arm!!! Or when you reach out to catch a goose neck lamp as it starts to tumble :(

Don't loose hope Lynn, I'm sure the miracles of modern technology will invent a fully contained safe torch for those of us with "torch terror"!!

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mx.

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

That's exactly what I did with a high-intensity bulb. I use several of them in stands for my photos for Etsy and for the blog, and I reached over and one of them caught me on the wrist. BOY! Those things get hotter than you'd think.

I can imagine myself reaching right across the flame of the torch to grab something ... and burns are so painful.

You torchworkers are so brave! Courageously creative.

Beth Hikes said...

How beautiful! It's so amazing to check out the wonderful regional artists that seem to be hiding out just miles away. I love the Mary Smith piece...the subtle color and multiplicity is so powerful to me.