Monday, July 20, 2009

Lightly and Darkly


I only use eight colors of acrylic paint, to learn how to mix the colors to get what I want. I think that by using a limited palette I am more likely to learn what goes with which, what turns muddy and dark, and how to get the Tuscan-looking earthy colors I lean toward.


The winged crowned piece has those earthy colors, but sanded and polished to look very shiny and worn. I don't use any glaze on the pieces, the sheen is from lots of hand buffing and a run through the Foredom power buffer, to give them a natural worn polished look.


The black especially comes to a nice sheen when you polish it that way. Almost like laquered japanese boxes, or ebony wood. Sometimes they remind me of dark cast iron with a weathering paint layer, just barely showing.

It's back to the office today, I'm expecting a lot of final touches to the relocation, hooking things up and testing equipment. At least it's the final stretch and the finish is in sight.

4 comments:

Marie-Aimée said...

it's really beautiful

sharon said...

Love, love the dark blackish ones!

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Thanks, friends. Just don't tell me you liked them better before I painted them, LOL! Hopefully all the working on them adds a little something ...

EmandaJ said...

Hi Lynn,
Your hard work shows in the beautiful character you give each piece. Your limited palette is a great way to go. You can be sure that what you do will look beautiful when finished.

Good luck on the finishing touches at the office.

Emanda
http://www.artemisiastudio.blogspot.com