Monday, June 22, 2009

Peeking in the Stateroom Keyhole


If you ever wonder how I work, and think I have this vision of something completed and work toward it, it's often not like that.

I made this oval piece, with the sun signs and map symbols, and an ornate hanger on the top. But I didn't know what it would be, how I would use it.


I also had recently created a cast off the antique keyhole cover, and was experimenting with painting and putting patina on it.

Then I watched a TV documentary show on the history of the Titanic, about the beauty of the ship and how it was made. At that point I decided that this would become a decorative keyhole cover on the door of a beautiful stateroom in a vanished steamship like the Titanic.


So I put the keyhole cover on top of the oval medallion, and it spoke to me. It has an opening at the top for a chain to pass through, it's very fun and looks to me as though it was meant to be that way all along. More photos in the Etsy shop, if you want to see those follow the link.

Sometimes it's happy accident, or maybe it isn't and I'm just unaware of the process.


PS: I finally caught up with orders, shipping out several today. For some reason I have the summertime slowdown, all I want to do is sip an iced tea and fan myself! With a nap on the verandah in the hammock, if I had either of those things ...

7 comments:

mairedodd said...

that's the kind of magic i love! when things come together, seemingly without your input, but obviously with it because of a vision or aesthetic you hold deep inside... i love this piece... and you are right, it is hard to imagine any other way... beautiful...

TesoriTrovati said...

Gah! I am all about the keys...and keyholes. I would have surely ordered this in my recent order. I love it! Please make more! I saw the Titanic exhibit in Milwaukee this spring. Do go if it comes near you. the artifacts are simply amazing. And before I even read your post that is exactly what I was thinking of! Thanks for sharing your inspriation! Enjoy the day!
Erin
P.S. I just got my goodies and they are even more amazing in person. To those of you reading this...go buy Lynn's gorgeous fauxtiques!

Beth Hikes said...

so clever and once again your backside is just as gorgeous as your front!

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Erin, I won't hold it against you if you place another order ... LOL!

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Beth, you probably didn't mean to make me giggle and snort, but you did. And my backside is not that gorgeous ... oh, wait, you meant the bead!

The Joy of Nesting said...

Awesome!! Brings to mind the carvings around the keyholes on the huge wooden church or Hacienda doors here :)

I have used a key and a heart charm for years as a signiture. I'm happy to see two of my favorite symbols coming back into the lime light!! And I'm most excited to see your interpretations!! :)

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mx.

PS Lynn did you get my note I fired off just a head of the Hurricane Friday??

Stacey said...

Hole Heck - beautiful!