Friday, May 15, 2009

When Is A Pencil Not A Pencil



A while back I did some posts in a series on Legendary Jewelrymakers. One of the people I featured is Amy Pfaffman, she uses interesting recycled and upsized things in her work and found objects such as aluminum knitting needles, wooden yardsticks and pencils. You can read about her on the blog, or use the "legendary jewelrymakers" tag to see the whole series, there are several.

So when I ran across Jennifer Maestre's work on Etsy, I was intrigued by her use of colored pencils to create scultures and wearable pieces.

Jennifer has a website and there are interviews with her about her work. I first saw her through a Treasury on Etsy that had one of her pencil sculptures in it, and I was curious to learn more about her. See it there, in the upper right-hand corner of the Treasury?

I learned that she's using the pencils almost like beads, weaving them together in peyote stitch, to create her innovative and sculptural three-dimensional pieces. Facinating, isn't it?


In her Etsy site she has pins and focal beads for pendants made of colored pencils too, very graphic and colorful.

Aren't they marvelous? They make me smile.

8 comments:

SueBeads said...

Lynn, I found these a while ago - I love them!

sharon said...

Thanks for sharing this Lynn, I don't get a lot of time to surf etsy and a lot of artists like you I have found to share some really invaluable info and resources to me!

FrankandRox said...

you should see her studio! incredible! It was in one of the last Cloth Paper Scissors studio mags, I think even maybe the spring 2009 anyway, her sanding discs are as art on the wall - even more recycling, very cool

SummersStudio said...

I stumbled across her awhile ago too. Like you those pencils make me smile.

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Have you ever seen one of Susan Lenart Kazmer's amulet necklaces with all the sharpened and stubby pencils, well worn and used - these sort of remind me of those. So much meaning in a utilitarian item. I'll bet those sanding disks are something to see, all right, with all the colors of the pencils on them!

Pretty Things said...

I have ALWAYS loved her things!!!!!!!

Charlene said...

I saw her studio in the Studio's Spring/Summer 2009 by Cloth Paper Scissor's magazine. Very COOL STUFF! Thanks for sharing.

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Thanks, Charlene, I'll have to see if I can find that issue to check it out.

The distortion from the way they are cut on the brooches with the colored pencil leads gives them an interesting "through the looking glass" appearance, like they're underwater or something.