Sunday, April 19, 2009

Focus and Fair Sunday Lately


It's a rainy, mild Sunday. I made my way down to the basement studio, opened all the windows to let in the freshly washed air and the songs of the birds, relishing this mild weather.


I found my stack of partially finished projects just where I left them before the trip to Washington State for Artfest. Turning on all the lights, the overhead and the central lights to use for fine polishing work, I just took up the first thing I saw and started in on it, to break the ice and give my hands a chance to re-establish the rythmn.

The hands know what to do, they start in immediately, to use the tools right in reach, the buffer all set up to polish some beads that are on the brink of being finished, just lacking their final shine.


The oval bead and round bead have the image of the daffodil flowers that were still in bloom before I left, now they are also designs in blue on connector beads that look like enamel, with a shiny blue color and areas that look worn and antique.


The music playing in the background is upbeat and instrumental, mostly Irish bands with pipes and a brisk pace and rythmn, to increase my mental energy and keep my wandering thoughts entertained, while the hands do what they need to do.


I try not to leave the studio with all the projects completely finished, but to leave each session of creativity with something waiting that just needs one more thing to get it finished, to help me prime the pump the next time I'm in the space, to start the process and get back into the zone.


The buffer brings out the final natural sheen, after all the sanding and polishing is done; you can't see the bead in my hands in this picture but I was finishing the blue oval daffodil bead, before taking its photo for the Etsy site.


It's a new design, I hope someone will like it and use it, possibly with blue freshwater pearls or maybe turquoise beads, to make something they will look and enjoy often. Something playful and folk art inspired, or delicate and sweet, whatever it says to them.


I enjoy making them, and think a lot about where they will go, and what they will become. A small link between my hands and those of the person who makes the beads their own in their design.

A peaceful re-entry into the studio, into the cycle of creating, to the backdrop of the rain sounds and music.

13 comments:

SummersStudio said...

Morning Lynn. I am happy to see you back at the bench! I love the smell of rain washed air. That in and of itself is inspiring. Just opened a kiln this morning and I am very pleased with one of the treasures that will be coming to you. Not to the bottom yet. Have a happy making day. Cheers, LeAnn

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Cheerio, LeAnn! It's good to be listening, head bobbing to the music, toe tapping to the beat, while the buffer hums and raindrops fall outside.

Anonymous said...

it is so good to see you happy in your workshop! enjoy the day, i love you :)

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Thank you, Jenny-Bear! XOXO

And although still bundled up - no sweatshirts and hats required today, LOL!

sharon said...

This is great Lynn to be able to see you at work! It makes me feel like you are now real and I can be connected, and I like that you share your thoughts that are involved in the creating process, it also reassures me I am not alone in my endeavors! I thank you for sharing since I am not quite so sharing of personal photos yet. I have great respect for you and your work.

Pretty Things said...

"freshly washed air" -- I love the way you phrased that!

LOVE your work. And am dying to know where you got your buffer. It's a ton smaller than the ones I've seen!

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

The buffer has a stitched muslin wheel and an unstitched wheel, for fine buffing and polishing. It's a Foredom buffer, I can't remember where I got it (I've had mine for a while) but I think Rio Grande might carry them. I'll do some research and see if I can find its source.

Yes, Sharon, I'm a real girl, LOL. I wear a hugely loose knit skirt over my work pants, it acts like a wraparound apron, catching all the wipes and drips. And when I'm buffing I keep my hair pulled up, it's a safety thing.

I don't usually put photos of myself on the blog, but if it helps connect people to me, maybe I will from time to time.

dogfaeriex5 said...

it was so nice to see you in your workshop studio! xo

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

This post got some attention over on Polymer Clay Daily, lots of interested folks in how-to-do-that and here's the link if you want to see or leave a comment:

http://polymerclaydaily.com/2009/04/21/davis-faux-fossils/

Deirdre said...

hey, thanks for showing us your tools at work! Hardly anyone (anyone at all, even?) does that.

I think I'll start showing my tools, also.

Love your work!

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Thanks, Deirdre - I see this page getting a lot of activity and it makes me realize that seeing the photos of the studio is something people are very curious about, I'm glad you made your way here.

treasurefield said...

I love how you say "the hands know what to do". How true, once you've taught them!
My 14 yr old recently started composing on piano a bit. I asked him if he shouldn't write it down. He said, "no, my hands can remember."
:)

I also like what you say about leaving something unfinished. I used to feel bad about so many unfinished projects, then I came to see what a good thing that is. It gives you something to look forward to, and I like letting some things "percolate" --i.e. wait for me to come up with solutions, additions, etc.

I'm a big fan of your work since tripping over your blog a few years (?!) ago, and it's great to "see" you and see the things we artists have in common!
Thanks for sharing!

Alisa R :)

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Hi, Alisa, I'm glad to hear you've been coming back to the blog for a while, it's true that the hands know what to do. I sometimes think if you let your head lead, it's easy to go round in circles just thinking, if I let the eyes and the hands lead and put the mind behind them they go right to doing something creative and fun.

Like kids when you give them a jar full of crayons and a sheet of paper, they get right to making something without contemplation.

The images are there, they just want to run down the ends of the fingers to go out into the world.